31st January 2011
Do I stay or do I go? In this instance our choices are simple, but with big consequences either way. There should be a window of NE wind about lunchtime, but it will swing to the South East and strengthen later in the evening. Yeppoon is 60 miles away or about 8 hours with the wind behind us, 10 hours with the wind ahead. If we go, then we face bad weather near Yeppoon. Staying looks the option but the weather forecast is then to deteriorate, and as an added complication,TC Yazi is in the
Coral Sea. We don’t know much about this one except that it is near at the moment and it’s big. If we stay we are up this creek for another four days and I really don’t want to weather a cyclone in the middle of a lake. Vanuatu
The morning started with rain showers but less wind than forecast so we decided to go for it. We crept past the Island Head rocks again and out to sea where we set a half headsail and motor sailed towards Yeppoon. For once the Wind God smiled on us and although the forecast North Easter never appeared, it was just off the bow which meant that three tacks got us to within 10 miles before the heavens opened and visibility came down to less then 100 metres. We found the break in the marina sea wall and found our allocated 13 metre berth. This was without the shortest 13 metre berth Dreamagic has ever been squeezed into but we got the first three quarters of the boat in before we ran out of concrete. With our backside hanging out, (but in line with all the other boats), we closed her up, stepped onto dry land for the first time in 6 days and went to the Yacht Club for a well deserved beer!
|What a Yacht Club should be|
|Silver Service, Yeppoon Style|