Australian Mainland North of Bundaberg
10th February 2011
Still Up the Creek
We had torrential rain last night although morning produced the promise of blue skies. We readied Dreamagic for sea and waited for the forecast. 20-25 knts South East with 2.2 metre seas, Friday 20-25 easing to 15-20 in the afternoon.
Not good, but we decided to try and given that we were on a falling tide decided not to delay. Consequently we were out of the channel and into the sea by 07.30. We called VMR Round hill and told them our intention to make our way to Round Hill Creek. By 09.00 we were back. The sea is very big and with wind on wave it is kicking up a real chop. Dreamagic is slamming down the back of every fifth wave or so and our speed over the ground with engine on and half jib up is less than 3.5 knots. Clearly a trip to Bundaberg, 60 miles away will have to wait. We called VMR Round Hill to inform them we were staying another night at Pancake Creek. Her response was "I thought you might. It takes a couple of days for the seas to die down".
We returned to our anchorage, licked our wounds and considered our options. The best course of action would be to wait here until tomorrow late morning, hope the promised easing wind arrives, and then scoot around to Agnes Waters, just 12 miles away. Rona will get internet coverage there so can catch up on her work. The weather is due to abate at the weekend so we can do the two big legs we are facing, Bundaberg and then Urangan in more clement weather.
I think perhaps being on the boat too long in close proximity to one other person, to the exclusion of the rest of the world affects the brain. One suffers flights of fancy not experienced when living in the balanced world of Terra Firma. Back to earth, or in our case water, I spent the afternoon getting thrashed at Scrabble before pizza cooked on Mountain Bread, accompanied by a glass of rough red brought the evening to a close.